Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Art of Eating



This summer we have made it our goal to not go out to eat. I say "goal" because there are exceptions to which we have gone out to eat...but still it is our goal to eat homemade food in a home at a table where we can relax. The reason for setting this goal was largely financial, but also so that we'd be eating healthier. I have to say that I think I have also learned in the process that there is just something really good about eating food that you have poured love into preparing.

Not going out to eat has certainly taught us to be more systematic in planning our meals so that we don't have to go to the grocery store 3 times a day (once for each meal as we decide what we want to eat throughout the day)...as tended to be the pattern of the past. I try to sit down and come up with a menu and a grocery list and hit the store on Wednesday, which seems to be the day that the ads change here in Tucson...and it just so happens that our favorite grocery store (Sunflower Market) does double ad day on Wednesdays where they honor the bargains for the week prior as well as the current week!

We've also been forced to expand our repertoire of meals...(although cheese crisp with salad is still our favorite lunch! :). I've decided to start an online recipe collection so that I can have access to the recipes I like while we are on the road...and so I can share them with all of you!

To access my recipes, go to www.recipezaar.com. There will be a bar with a search option near the top of the page. Click "members" button and then type in absarunnin, and click to search. All of my recipes should come up...I believe in order of when they were posted...with most recent recipes at the top. You'll likely notice that we've been a little addicted to ice cream this summer! We inherited an ice cream maker from Chris and Melissa, and needless to say we have pretty much enjoyed eating ice cream most nights...including tonight. :) If anyone has a recipe for Mackinac Island Fudge ice cream...could you send it my way?? I've been searching online, but nothing is coming up...

Happy Eating!

No comments: