When living a sort of "non-traditional" life, people often say things to make conversation that to them seem perfectly reasonable, but when it's something you've heard a gagillion times, it starts to feel judgmental and heavy, and instead becomes a total conversation stopper. I wish I didn't respond in this way, but rather had the patience to explain my point of view and experience and the fact that we do what we do, because we love it and feel that it is what we were made for.
Things we hear on a very regular basis...
"So what's your real job?" often complemented with... "My friend (son, brother, uncle, sister, etc) plays guitar too, I mean (s)he has a real job as well--(s)he's a lawyer--but (s)he plays in a band for fun."
--This is our "real job", and we feel totally blessed that we are able to do this full-time and be on the road together.
"You might as well do this while you're young and don't have any children."
--We plan on doing this for as long as God wants us to and provides the opportunity for us to do so. When we have children, we plan on bringing them on the road too, and doing road-school. I am excited for the field trips we'll be able to take the kids on, the learning that comes from seeing the world and the ways in which different people live (both in and outside of the US), and all of the benefits that come with being a family unit together, instead of being separated because of work.
"So Abby, are you like their groupie?"
--Yes, I am there number one groupie and fan...and I can often be spotted sharing a hotel room with the guy with a red guitar! :) I also do their booking, tour managing and accounting (on the side, of course).
"How can you stand to be together 24/7?"
--We got married because we love each other and love spending time together!
"I hear hotels have a problem with bedbugs."
--This may be true, however we haven't had a problem with it yet, please don't give me nightmares by suggesting this! I kid you not, I spent one night itching all night after someone said this, and the following morning I looked under the mattress pad to see if I could see any sign of them...so far so good, no bedbugs that I've seen, and no bedbug bites. Also, a friend just reported to me that most households have bedbugs, unless you are faithful to vacuuming your mattress.
"I hear drinking water from different areas of the country can give you a lot of GI issues."
--So can not drinking water, eating out too much, flying in a plane, eating too many prunes, running on a hot day, not eating enough prunes, having the flu, etc. I'd like to report that our GI systems are all in great working condition, thanks for your genuine concern. :)
All joking aside, we really do love talking about life on the road, and appreciate your interest in asking us questions...I just thought I'd help by answering some of the questions we get asked regularly, and perhaps put your wondering mind to rest. :)
3 comments:
I think it's amazing what you are doing. And I especially think that the perfect time to do it IS WHEN YOU HAVE CHILDREN!!! loved the term "road-school." If only every child could be so blessed! and sorry if our conversation the other day only worsened the bed-bug freight! :) love to you both!
ah....i can imagine all of these conversations - so awkward and painful!
we're envious of your life, work, travel, it may not always be glamorous but we totally dig that you guys can hang out ALL the time.
we're GREEN with envy.
=)
liz
That's hilarious!! I like your answers!! I'd love that lifestyle!!! Tell the guys hi and I looked at some of their videos. I definitely gotta get over there some summer and tour with ye and be number 2 groupie and number 1 roadie!!!! Miss ye,
Johno
Post a Comment