Hello!
I'm back at the internet cafe. I wish I could post photos now so you could see what it looks like. There are 11 yellowing computers from the 90's on tables lined in a row. No overhead lighting and a low ceiling. The term "cafe" doesn't really apply as there are no refreshments. Loud music is playing behind us...not really sure what is going on...we'll have to walk over there after we're done here. It only costs 25 cents for a 1/2 hour worth of computer time...but the connection is slow, so you need at least a 1/2 hour to do anything. Unfortunately the internet cafe is one of the only things with a "fixed price"...the only other fixed prices we've found are for gas and milk...everything else (sugar, toilet paper, clothing, etc) requires bargaining, which I am not too big of a fan of. And, Liz said that since we are white, they think we are rich, so they've been increasing the starting price for everything. We did a good job though with buying fabric, and got them to decrease the price so that we only had to pay 60% of the original asking price. As for going to the zoo the other day though, the price was 4 TIMES as much for us! Liz tried bargaining, but they wouldn't budge...$2.50 for Ugandans and $10 for the muzungos (white people).
On to other things...
Yesterday we attended Liz's cousin's wedding. Ryan was asked to accompany Liz's brother as he sang two songs at the reception...afterwards the councilor of Kampala asked if he was available for hire...sorry!
Today was the baptism at the church...I love just watching the children here. The girls who are able to go to school all have their heads shaved (it's part of the dress code for school), and they look so beautiful with their eyes standing out so bright! There was one girl in particular who had Ryan and I captivated. There was also a little boy (3 years old-ish) who was just clapping and singing through the whole service while standing next to his mom in the choir. This afternoon there will be a big party at Liz's in celebration of Liz's baptism.
One of my favorite things so far is just walking around the streets where Liz lives...so many people living in such small places...lots of cooking (everyone cooks outdoors using charcoal.
I'd write more, but I have to look up a few things online yet before my time runs out.
No comments:
Post a Comment