Sunday, October 10, 2010

CHEESE!

For the past (almost) 6 months I have been dairy-free. No ice cream, no cheese, no glass of milk before bed, no butter, no yogurt...nada. This to say that prior to 6 months ago dairy was probably my number 1 consumed food group. Yogurt/milk with breakfast. Cheese on EVERYTHING and as part of every snack. Real butter all the time. And ice cream practically every single night.
I don't think I would have been able to give up dairy under any other circumstance than Ezra not tolerating it. When I talked to the birth center they said that for some babies their digestive systems just aren't developed enough to break down the milk proteins for the first 6 months of life. But at 6 months to try it again. One week before Ezra turned 6 months I deemed it "close enough" and had lasagna at a friend's house. It was absolutely delicious and I was thankful to be able to eat it and even sprinkle extra parmesan on top. The next day I had some brie with crackers. Usually I would be absolutely ga-ga for this snack, but to be honest it only tasted okay. Later, Ryan made some nachos, and again I felt like "eh...okay, not great". I was slightly disappointed in myself. What was happening? I LOVE cheese!

(my much anticipated moment of having some brie...)


Well, I guess it was a good thing that I didn't find my dairy return to be all that I had expected, because Ezra's little tummy still can't handle it. It took about 10 days to get it out of his system, and I must say that I much rather have my happy baby back than dairy any day. Perhaps we'll try again at 8 months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, sorry Ezra for a little more tummy trouble. it sure looks like he is loving the other food though!!

love,
megan