Saturday, April 24, 2010

Green Baby!

In less than our first two weeks of being home with Ezra, we went through more than 2 containers of baby wipes. Which, this frugal green mama is just not cool with. So, cloth wipes became a priority, and I have to say that I LOVE using them! Some that I have are made of flannel, but the ones I like the best are actually just thin washcloths. The extra bit of texture that they have, help to clean his bottom easier. Thanks to Megan's suggestion, this is what our set-up looks like:

Inside the coffee carafe is where we store our toasty warm wipes solution. I put a washcloth from the stack on the left in the bowl, and the squirt out some solution directly onto the washcloth to use only what I need...and then wipe away!

There are a gagillion wipes solution recipes online, but the one that I've been using and like is:
1/8 cup of olive oil
1 Tablespoon of baby shampoo
4 drops of tea tree essential oil
8 drops of lavender essential oil
3 cups of warm water

If you are using cloth diapers, the cloth wipes can just go right in the same diaper pail, as opposed to having to separate out the disposable wipes from the re-usable diapers. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

3 comments:

Eileen Short said...

Thanks for the recipe. Love the onesie!

Anonymous said...

i think the measure of success of such a set up can only be based in so far as how cute the bowl is. i think you have succeeded!

isn't it fun to cloth diaper?! i think it just makes life worthwhile! :)

love,
megan

Anonymous said...

Hey Abby, how long can you keep the solution in the carafe thing? Does it go bad?

Thanks for the idea!!

Kelly