Friday, January 06, 2012

The Human Brain

Watching Ezra grow and learn everything from walking to feeding himself to expressing himself verbally has been absolutely amazing. Ryan and I have said almost everyday for the last week and a half that we are totally in awe of how a little human being learns a language. Not a new language, but a language. To go from coo's and giggles to saying "I fall down", or to touch something new and say, "sticky" because he remembers how tape feels and that it is also called sticky.

How does he know that when I say "You did it!" translates to him saying "I did it!"?? Or that it is appropriate to say "thank you" not only when receiving something physical (a toy, food, etc), but also an act of service (having his hat put on, being put down so he can run, etc.)? It's amazing how they learn and learn so fast!

Over the last week his vocabulary has probably quadrupled, and anything we say gets repeated. The other day Ezra started coughing after he took a drink of water and I said, "Are you choking?" and now every time he coughs while eating he says, "I choking." ...oh dear. :)

No comments: