Yesterday, we got to the school at about 9am. Again, school starts at 8:30, but the teachers had yet to begin teaching and students hadn't really made their way to their classrooms yet (probably because the teachers hadn't either). I don't really quite get what is going on in the school here. Is it that they don't have hope of making something huge with their lives so they don't care about school? I don't entirely think this is true since when I ask the kids, they all know what they want to be....teachers, pediatricians, cooks, etc. Is it just a lack of resources that the teachers are just burnt out trying to do as much as they can with very little? Perhaps. at 10:30, the students have their break, so the teachers came into the computer lab with Liz and I to learn some of the software that we brought for their students to use. After about 45 minutes of us just working with the teachers, a couple of students figured out where we were, and they made their way into the computer lab.
Within just a couple of minutes, there were about 40 kids in the computer lab surrounding the computers and teachers...it was a priceless moment.
We then sent the teachers back to the rooms (in hopes of them teaching) and just kept a couple of students in the lab to work with individually on the computers.
As you can see, the teachers didn't really take the other students with them...so I ended up taking the extra students outside so Liz could work more closely on the computers with just a few of them. Outside, we played a lot of games...spider in the web, blob tag, hokey pokey, you name it...it was really fun...and also quite tiring.
Some kids just wanting to pose for the camera...
At the end of the school day, we walked home with the kids...many of them hanging off of us. It was about a 2 mile walk, and just as we were about home, it started pouring rain! Within minutes, it started looking like a hurricane minus the winds, and the power went out...for 8 hours! Actually, I think I was more surprised about it coming back on, than I was about it going out.
We decided to go out to dinner with Candy and Lloyd at a little place in Harmons.
The door on the left (with Candy peaking out) is the restaurant, the door on the right is the shop where you can buy bread and such. The restaurant was about 4X9' and had 4 stools in it that you could sit on to eat at the bar. They cooked the food in their house and would bring it in for you to eat. It was very very very good...fried chicken!
Well, I'm going to head out and see what needs to be done...the rest of the volunteers are coming tomorrow and there aren't enough beds, benches, or tables, so today is going to be a building day of sorts...
No comments:
Post a Comment