I have mentioned Bountiful Baskets here once before...I LOVE it! Honestly, it ranks quite high in my "Top 5 Things I Love About Tucson". In the past month we've been exposed to lots of new fruits and veggies that I've never tried before/didn't even know existed.
* Pluots (cross between a plum and an apricot).
* Brussel Sprouts (actually quite tasty when roasted with olive oil and salt)
* White Asparagus (which needs to be peeled before you cook it!)...unfortunately it's just like green asparagus in that it makes your pee smell after you eat it though.
* Green Cauliflower (in the fridge still...to eat this week)
* Mustard Greens (great in soups, eggs, etc)
Samantha, Blanca...am I missing any?
I have been dairy free for quite some time now since Ezra's lil' body can't seem to digest the milk proteins yet. We are going to try again when he's 6 months old. At first it was hard to read labels of EVERYTHING (no trace amounts of dairy even), however now it's become the norm. I know how upset it makes Ezra feel...so it's easy to go without it. I'm thankful for goat cheese and coconut milk ice cream, that's for sure. :)
Ryan just learned on Friday that he needs to go on an elimination diet to determine what food allergy is causing his eosiniophilic esophagitis (feel free to google it)...it's basically like asthma, only in his esophagus.
The elimination diet means no:
-eggs
-dairy
-soy
-corn
-wheat
-nuts
-fish
-shell fish
Yup, pretty much everything except rice, beans, meat and produce. Luckily, he doesn't have to eliminate those foods forever...just until we get him feeling good, and then he'll add them back in one at a time until we see what it is that he's allergic too. They will also be doing skin prick testing, but not for a few weeks, and there is a false-positive with that, so this is the most accurate way to find out.
If anyone has good elimination diet recipes...please feel free to send them our way! :)
4 comments:
I Googled gluten free recipes and some were also dairy free:)
Love, Mom
I Googled gluten free recipes and some were also dairy free:)
Love, Mom
Yikes! I think Rachel from www.smallnotebook.org eats a similar diet, her family has a lot of food allergies. I remember her putting recipes about cooking with almond flour, and there was a salmon recipe one time...sorry, specifics are vague.
I ran across this blog (the girl's son has suspected eosiniphilic disease) - has some recipes: http://fa.sarahbdesigns.net/
Sonali had suspected protein intolerances that started when she was a newborn. I had to stop eating all meat, dairy, fish, nuts, eggs, soy, etc. - it wasn't my favorite thing to do. But, I didn't have to do it for too long - in the end it turned out that she didn't have a problem with protein, but just had severe reflux. Praise God she outgrew it!
Post a Comment