One of the most commonly asked questions I get is, "How is Ezra sleeping at night?". Truthfully, I think he is doing great! I feel rested, and he is happy. However, people usually want to know how many hours he is sleeping, (the more the better in their minds). And how many times he eats at night, (the fewer the better). I often need to remind myself to hold things in perspective: a.) he is a baby, b.) this phase of waking up during the night is going to be over before I know it, c.) waking up through the night serves many purposes (connecting with mama, SIDS prevention, growing healthy and strong, etc..) and d.) I'm not stressed about it, so why should I let others stress me out? I started reading a book that was given to me by a friend about helping your baby sleep through the night. She loved it and it was a great read for her...so I'm not at all meaning to knock the book or the suggestion, it just wasn't for me. The more I read it, the more stressed out I was getting. I realize that the whole point of the book is to help give your baby healthy sleeping habits. Which, sounds great. I want Ezra to have healthy habits. But, when it comes down to it, right now he is a baby and I want to give him comfort, not discipline. If I had the option of being held and swaddled and soothed to sleep right next to the person I love every night, you bet I would take it...so that is also what I am choosing to give to Ezra. I found a lot of affirmation in my choice to do this when reading
this blog post yesterday.
He is a great sleeper! And, he can sleep almost anywhere...the swing, our arms, your arms, a pack 'n play, our bed, my wrap carrier, Ryan's ergo carrier...and most importantly, he is a happy lil' guy!
3 comments:
thanks for sharing this. constant reminder of your ability to know yourself and now, your lucky baby, too. love you, jana
*Applause*
I love that you are following your heart and parenting your baby boy with such gentle intentionality.
The "sleep question" drives me crazy! My firstborn woke up many times for the first 2 years. She nursed like crazy through the night...and we were incredibly well-rested. All of us.
Now, my firstborn is three and she sleeps all through the night in her own bed without a peep (usually). Her little sister is now the one waking and nursing. I see it as a sweet stage to savor. :)
P.S. I think you might enjoy these two posts: http://www.phdinparenting.com/2008/06/04/does-she-sleep-through-the-night/ AND http://metropolitanmama.net/2010/05/my-baby-is-such-a-good-sleeper/
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net
Thanks for posting this, Abby! Jude is finally sleeping through the night...sometimes...once a week or so, maybe twice. When I tell people this, they often tell me that one day I will break down and let him cry it out, rather than get up to comfort and feed him. Sadly, they sometimes go on to tell me they "had to" let their baby cry for two or even three hours once or twice but since then they sleep through regularly. It makes me sick (but sometimes does make me wonder if I might the crazy one?)! It is encouraging to hear of loving mommies, whom I respect, responding to their babies' needs (for cuddling, etc.)...not ignoring them just because they are not tangible like a wet diaper, etc. On another subject, Ezra is looking mighty handsome these days! I hope we can meet him soon...and really wish we lived closer so we could see you often!
Post a Comment