Friday, March 11, 2011

Decluttering.

Ryan's cousin Jessica has turned me on to the blog, Simple Mom. I love it. From faith, to raising kids, to creating a budget and organizing her home...she shares her tips and love for simplicity. For the next few weeks, she has put out a decluttering challenge that I have decided to take.

The first week involved writing a family mission statement. What does this have to do with decluttering you ask? When we know the purpose of our family it is easier to determine what stuff we want to hold onto, and what we are ready to let go of (more-or-less her words). Our mission statement is still in the works, but I'll share it when I am ready to.

This past week involved sifting through and organizing your wardrobe. Perhaps it is slightly not fair for me to be participating in this because I love to do this sort of thing already. But truthfully, ever since Ezra was born, I am so busy sorting through which clothes he no longer wears that I have not even considered tackling my own closet and dresser.

Here is the "before" photo of our closet. You will likely notice that I only photographed my side of the closet. This was because Ryan's side was (ahem) so out of control that I didn't think I would dare tackle his side. But, in the end I did, as you will see in the "after" photo. I guess I was just on a roll and wanted the whole thing to look nice. Fear not, I did not sort through and toss out any of his clothes (to his knowledge). No really, I didn't. :)

Before:


After:




Anyone else up for the challenge?

4 comments:

How Jess Reads said...

Yay! Glad you did the challenge! Ironically I just finished sorting through my clothes about 3 weeks ago, and donated 2 big bags last week, right before Tsh posted the challenge. Oh well, I may tackle Eleanor's scary scary closet instead...

Mira Conklin said...

Wow--nice work! And good timing that you posted this. I've been on an organizing kick and had decided to tackle the clothes and closet today, so I took some before and after pics. Now I have to decide whether to take on this challenge seriously...

Heidi said...

Wow, you have a lot of extra room in your closet that you don't use! Just wait, as Ezra gets older, your extra space will become storage for all his junk! :)

Stephanie said...

I agree - Simple Mom is a wonderful blog. It's one of the few I still have in my RSS feed.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net