Monday, March 21, 2011

Ezra's Kitchen!

According to my mom, I used to spend hours a day in my play kitchen. We have photos of this, so I believe it to be true. (When you are the 3rd child, at least in my family, there are approximately 3 photos taken of you a year, so to have at least one of those with me playing in my kitchen means I spent a lot of time there.) :)

I had been wanting Ezra to have a wooden toy kitchen, but they start around $100 (and go wayyy up!), and I knew that just wasn't in the budget. My beautiful, wise, and also frugal-minded sister started sending me links to tutorials on how to make your own toy kitchen out of an old tv or night stand. Frugal, crafty, and re-purposing something old for something new...love it love it love it.

I found this (even uglier in person) tv stand on Craigslist for $10 (actually they wanted $20, but I bargained for $10 and got it! :)


And this board (cut to size) from Home Depot for only $0.51!


We used leftover paint and Ryan's handyman skills...


And...tada! This is the first stage of "done". I am making a little curtain to go in that open space above the cupboards so Ezra can have fun putting things behind it. And we also want to make a clock and/or kitchen timer, along with some salt and pepper shakers. I'll post photos once those things happen, but first I thought I should at least post what I have since it was promised over a week ago now. :)



Where it all came from and the cost breakdown:
$10 tv stand
$0.51 backboard
$3.00 thrifted silver bowl for "kitchen sink"
$1.00 thrifted records for "stove burners"
$1.80 for both door knobs from Home Depot
$1.00 thrifted shelf
$1.00 letter "J" from JoAnns turned upside down to serve as the faucet
$1.50 wooden "people" used as faucet knobs
$0.00 paint and primer (already had)

TOTAL: $19.81!

I just started making felt food...oh wow, too fun...so far we have a carrot, radish, and a tomato! Much more felt food to come!

10 comments:

meagan said...

That is very cute! I love the idea :) I'm sure Ezra will have fun with his kitchen.

How Jess Reads said...

How adorable! If you want more CDs or records for more burners, lemme know, I can hook you up for free. :)

Oh, and Rachel at smallnotebook.org made some super cute felt cupcakes a while ago. I'll see if I can find the link.

How Jess Reads said...

Aha! Took me a while, since it wasn't actually on Small Notebook, but a guest post she did at Alpha Mom. :)

http://alphamom.com/family-fun/crafts/build-a-felt-cupcake/

Anonymous said...

that is a treasure he will work with for a long time! you guys did a beautiful job!

love,
megan

Mira Conklin said...

Wow--that is awesome!

jill + oakley said...

love it!!!

so creative. great advice from your sis!

Kristin said...

I am secretly obsessed with DIY play kitchens!! Check out the blog Craftiness is Not Optional, she made a play kitchen and a ton of felt food!!

http://theadventuresofroryandjess.blogspot.com/

Eileen Short said...

Awesome job Ryan & Abby!!

Anonymous said...

We need a picture of Ezra playing with his kitchen =) Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

SO ADORABLE!!!!!! Nice job-Green's:)

xo, Jana