Thursday, April 21, 2011

Little Toidey

When our friends Chris and Melissa moved to California last month, we were graciously gifted with many of the things that they didn't care to move with them.

One of those items was The Little Toidey. I swear it has to be from the 1940's.



I'll be honest, I took it because no one else wanted it. I knew that it would be hard for them to throw it in the trash, so I thought I'd do them a favor and bring it to goodwill without them knowing it.

Once I got it home though, I realized that perhaps this was just the thing we had been needing for our EC (elimination communication) to move forward. Ezra was still using his little potty when he woke up in the morning and after naps, but at other times throughout the day, he would just stand-up off the potty before going. Because really, playing is way more fun than sitting on a potty afterall. Given that EC is about meeting a child's needs and not potty training, I didn't like forcing him to stay seated, so I would just let him get off and crawl about playing.

I decided to put The Little Toidey on our toilet, and see if Ezra would want to use it. Sure enough, he did! He went on The Little Toidey almost every time he had to go for two days straight! He requires some (acutally, a lot of) help with aiming. I am starting to learn why families with little boys sometimes have bathrooms that smell like pee. Please feel free to tell me if ours ever gets that way. :) He is still using it quite regularly, but likes to go back and forth between his old little potty and the Little Toidey now. It has definitely been reassuring for me to realize that he hasn't lost his ability to know when he has to go...he just isn't always wanting to use the potty. :)







When asked what he thinks about his new Little Toidey, this was his response:


I recently wrote for Uncommon Childhood on the topic of Elimination Communication. You can read the article (and also see a cute photo of Ezra when he was 10 weeks old on his little potty) here.

2 comments:

How Jess Reads said...

My mom always made my brothers sit backwards on the toilet till they were a little older and their aim got better. :)

Anonymous said...

i believe the bathroom to which you were referring was our bathroom. thanks for understanding! if given the opportunity, i have dreamed up an amazing nino bano, complete with hose to spray down the entire tiled bathroom. its sure to get a patent.

love,
megan