Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Escape Artist Strikes Again...

...this time he succeeds!

We arrived at my parent's house in Michigan on Monday evening.

On Tuesday afternoon we put Ezra down for a nap, and about 2 hours after we put him down (though I'm sure that he had not fallen asleep since I could hear him reading/talking away the entire time), he showed up in the living room. He managed to climb out of his pack 'n play, open the difficult-to-open bedroom door, and climbed down the stairs. When I went to investigate his tactics, I discovered that our boy is smarter than I often realize. He folded up the pack 'n play mattress, leaving the covers over the mattress though so that when folded it would stand higher than normal. Used that as a step to fling his body over the side of the pack 'n play and then landed onto our bed which was nearby.

Deciding that I could out-smart him, I moved his pack 'n play to the other side of the bedroom wall so that he would not be able to use our bed as help to sneak out.

Wednesday afternoon we put Ezra down for a nap, and about 45 minutes after laying him down (he still hadn't fall asleep, because again we could hear him talking and singing away), he came downstairs, this time in Papa's arms. My dad thought that Ezra was waking up (vs. never having fallen asleep) so he "rescued him".

Thursday afternoon we put Ezra down for a nap, and about an hour or so later (I don't think we ever realized how long he talks for before falling asleep because at home we don't use a monitor)...he was still carrying on conversations with his book and giraffe. My mom stayed home with Ezra to babysit while he was napping, and Ryan and I snuck away to go out for lunch. We came home to Ezra eating lunch with Gram at the table. Apparently, he had once again folded up his mattress and climbed out of his bed (even without the help of our bed to land on) and was running up and down the hallway.

Luckily after each breakaway, he would settle down for a much needed nap, but man he is tricky...does this mean the beginning of a big boy bed is in sight??

2 comments:

How Jess Reads said...

Uh oh! Maybe you could wait to put him down till he's more sleepy and then he'd be more interested in sleeping than escaping? If he's talking for that long he's probably not that tired...

Or else prepare yourself! :)

Eileen Short said...

gotta recommend the tent! Great for keeping little squirmers in their bed, and for some reason kids really seem to like it too :)