Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day Weekend Part 2

(DAD, please scroll down slowly so that you end where I menion for you to, and your birthday surprise doesn't get spoiled!...thanks...we love you!)

I hope everyone had a great 3-day weekend! There was a large music and film festival downtown Tucson all weekend long, which is where we spent a lot of our evenings this weekend. There were 3 large stages, a ton of bands, one guy who did spoken word, and lots of people to enjoy the entertainment. As I mentioned in my last post, Cameron and Ryan both played at the festival over the weekend as guest performers in other bands.
Cameron played guitar and sang with the band "The Sidewinders", formerly known as "The Sandrubies"...he did an awesome job and had a ton of fun, which was very apparent to all watching. :)



Ryan was the guest guitar player for Al Perry, a Tucson legend for being one of the first to introduce 'desert rock'. The day before the show Al told Ryan a rough idea of what songs he was going to play...then the day of the show Ryan got a call from Al saying, "I forgot to tell you that we don't play any of those songs in the same key as their recordings.."...there goes any sort of rehearsal or preparation that Ryan could have done. Then again, we are talking about Ryan..."the maestro"...needless to say, Ryan was incredible...he blew the crowd (and Al Perry) away with solos!



Our friend Chris' band also played a great set! (Chris is on the far left in the photo)...


We also had some great meals over the weekend with family and friends...(unfortunately no pictures, but I'll mention them anyway...)...

We went out to the French Quarter with Chris and Melissa to hear Jim's classic rock band play and had alligator and fried pickles!...I don't even like pickles, but these were soo good!

Aunt Teri and Jim (from Classic Rock band above) came over for lunch and we had squash apple soup, salad, and Ryan's yummy garlic/cheesy bread.

Lori and Todd had us over for fish and chips...and wings...and corn on the cob...and gluten-free brownies! :)

Oh...and over the course of the weekend we watched two episodes of Little House on the Prairie!! Ryan got me dvds of some of the episodes as a surprise...we love that show!

This morning we woke up bright and early...aside from when we were in the Grand Canyon, this might have been the earliest we've ever woken up together! We got up at 5:20am for an 8mile race at Saguaro National Park. It was my first race since running the DC marathon in 2004 and I loved it! I'm so pumped to get back into racing again...there is a great running club here that I'm super jazzed about. The 8 mile course was super tough! I'd dare to say that it was by far the hardest 8 mile run I've ever done in my life. The entire thing was hills! Starting right in mile 1, there were hills...larger than "rolling hills"...then from mile 3.5-5 it was completely uphill...it evened out for about 1/2 mile, and then continued to climb for 1/2 of a mile! It was crazy, but very beautiful!!

pre-race stretching...


the start of the race...


approaching the finish line...




done! I finished in 1 minute and 2 seconds under my goal time! :)


It was soo fun to have Ryan there with me!


My free post-race massage!!


DAD...IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE END HERE SO I DON'T RUIN YOUR BIRTHDAY SURPRISE! :)









After taking naps once we got home from the race, we spent a large part of the afternoon making a "Gimme 5" game board for my dad for his birthday!


Ryan just left for LA to do another week of recording in the studio..
I'm heading off to Boston on Wednesday for Orla and Will's wedding, and Summer's Boston wedding reception!! Can't wait to see all of you Bostonians and Cantabridgians!

1 comment:

Mira and Eric said...

Congratulations on your race, Abby! Looks like it was a tough course but a beautiful place to run. I've been running again after quite a long break, and it has felt really good. I'm a bit of a wimp, though--one of my favorite things about running in Chicago is being by the lake, but I'll admit that the other favorite thing is that there are NO hills!