I've been meaning to write a blog post for a few days now, and I thought I was going to get to write one now, but we're actually going to be at our destination in about 7 minutes, so I don't have much time... Instead, I thought I'd post a book review that I wrote about a book I read a few months ago, written by the pastor of our church in Boston.

(sorry you can't actually search inside...I just saved the image from amazon. :)
MY REVIEW: This is a book for everyone. Whether a person of faith, or a person who doesn't feel as if they have ever spent time thinking about faith, you will be engaged (as I was) by the insights Dave shares. His perspective of having been an atheist for the first half of his life offers a unique perspective. The faith that Dave talks about isn't about being right/wrong or good/bad, it's about a connection with a communicative Jesus that offers a life that is more "joyful, purposeful, and connected"...something that I definitely can say I'd love to sign up for and have more of.
And, if you read my friend Trish's book, "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not", that I blogged about last spring, you may enjoy her review of the book from her blog...
TRISH'S REVIEW: If you've read my memoir, you'll remember Dave. He's the exceedingly tall pastor who took the stage the day I wandered into his church. I sat towards the back, scanning the room for cute guys, ready to bolt the minute anyone said anything judgmental or horrifying. But instead, Dave suggested an oddly hopeful approach to God and faith and life, as if he honestly believed we're created to experience things beyond what we might even think to ask for. For obvious reasons, I was captivated. If you've ever read Anne Lamott and wondered where one might find the open-armed, low-pressure/low-rhetoric, Jesus-ey brand of spirituality she describes, NOT THE RELIGIOUS TYPE is a great place to start.
What I love about this book is that Dave does a great job of combining his unique story with wise and thoughtful musings on various topics. I think he's the only pastor out there celebrating the vital contribution of the New Atheists to American society, or admitting in a chapter title that he wants lots and lots of sex. As the jacket copy says, "Dave suggests a new, unexpected way of seeing the world and our place in it." I've know Dave and his wife long enough to know that this isn't just some show he's putting on--it's the real deal. If you're a spiritual seeker, this will be a fun addition to your collection.
No comments:
Post a Comment