Monday, December 28, 2009

Yup...that kid was me. :)

One of our family stories that I heard often growing up, was that our neighbors teased my mom she would have to come to pre-school with me for snack time since I was still breastfeeding at an "older than westernally accepted age". To my knowledge, my mom never did actually come for snack time...goldfish crackers and juice was all I needed while at school. :) It's funny how often this comes to mind now as I'm getting ready to have our own baby and looking forward to breastfeeding...and also talking with friends about their own breastfeeding experiences. It usually comes up most when people say something along the lines of how you can't breastfeed once the child can ask for it, and I sheepishly say that that was me...though to be honest, I have no recollection of this...I just have heard the stories. Pehaps it was my upbringing, or examples set by friends and my sister, that have continued to reinforce the fact that breastfeeding is healthy for both mom and baby, and that there really doesn't have to be a set age for weaning. I'm also very aware though, that this is not the view shared by everyone, or even an option for everyone. That's okay though...everyone has to do what is right for them and their family. But should you be interested in the benefits of extended breastfeeding, feel free to check out these articles:



Hmmmm...I'm not sure why these links are not showing up when I click "Post"...I'll try fixing this.

3 comments:

Mira Conklin said...

Abby, my mom breastfed my sister and brother until they each decided to stop (around age 2 1/2) and cut me off after my sister was a couple of months old and she found that breastfeeding both of us was difficult. I was around 2. No matter what folks say, do what's right for you and your kiddo!
Love,
Mira

Jana's Blog said...

i love this blog... i was just talking with a friend about the rules around naps and how all of my miami friends have strong opinions around whether to let a baby cry or not. i actually sent my friend this entry!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts on breastfeeding!

it is likely my dear callum will be one of those kids as well :)

love,
megan