Sunday, July 24, 2011

scrabble!

...and the photo from yesterday's post of that pre-monsoon sky was the start of a massive monsoon storm!! It was by far the best monsoon rain we've had in years. We sat outside under the patio and played scrabble. That is, until we were pretty sure we were going to get struck by lightning sitting on our metal chairs. :)


I decided to put one of Ezra's sand pails out to catch the rain. And it was literally overflowing within a minute. So then I decided to put his pool out, and the whole thing was full in less than 30 minutes. Ezra was thrilled the next morning to see the pool fuller than it has ever been. He was body slamming into the water and laughing.


I have started this little competition with myself of wanting to use the least amount of water possible in our home. So, this pool has aided in these efforts because we've been able to turn off our drip system and use the pool (rain) water to water our plants for the last 4 days!!..and there is even water left for another day or so. We soo need to invest in some rain water barrels for next year.

1 comment:

Eileen Short said...

LOVE the idea of gaming on the patio during the rain. Hmmm, maybe not on metal chairs though. ;)

So have you guys looked into using gray water for your plants? I'm thinking of doing some research on this - my grandpa did it himself...not sure it's a project I could do without prof help.