Saturday, June 20, 2009

Tucson Refugee Festival!

This evening was the Tucson Refugee Festival! Tucson is the 7th largest resettlement city in the US, with over 10,000 refugees living here. The festival was a beautiful display of the rich culture and traditions that they bring to our city...I wish everyone in Tucson could have been there to see it and appreciate them. From knitted bags, woven rugs and African clothing to poetry, dance, and music...it was a magical night for me. I had just told Ryan a few days ago how much I missed Africa and how badly I want to go back, and he again reminded me of the unique African community we get to be apart of here in Tucson, and sure enough...I experienced this again tonight. I went to the festival with my friend Rache whom I met while living in Boston...she currently lives in Reno, but is in Tucson for job training right now.

We saw many of our refugee friends there, including Joseph...

James performed in a portion of a play that will be completed next year, as well as recited poetry he had written...

About a month ago Ryan took Bievenue driving to help teach him how to drive before getting his drivers license...

And today Bienvenue proudly showed me his new car, complete with his drivers license!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when ryan's days of touring with RH wind down, due to abundant fame...i can see a 2nd career as a driving teacher. he'd be funny!

xo,
jill