Friday, September 18, 2009

Now and THEN!

This past week I have been working everyday downtown at Cafe 54 helping them get ready for an audit. Even though paperwork is not normally my thing at all, there has been something about it that I've really enjoyed. Perhaps its being over on the "club house" side of the building where members (adults with mental illness) can spend their days taking writing classes, computer lessons, talking with one another, etc. When I arrive at 8:30am, there is a whole group of members congregated around the door just waiting to get in to start their day of 'work'. I love it. Yesterday I was able to overhear the writing group, which is also facilitated by a member. They were doing 3 minute writing exercises where they'd write about any given topic for 3 minutes and then share it with one another. When the hour for the writing group was up, they wanted to keep writing...so other members started to share topic ideas, the first one? "Foods you like to snack on, let's write about potato chips!", they all agreed it was a great idea...so writing about potato chips they did. :)

Today is my last day working down at the Cafe...because TOMORROW I get to fly to NYC to meet up with Ryan! I'm thankful how fast the 3 weeks home seemed to go by. I'm also very excited to show Ryan my protruding belly...I don't think there is to much mistaking it now (unless maybe you don't know me at all). Tomorrow night they'll play in NYC, Monday night in Buffalo, Tuesday in Grand Rapids, Wednesday in Indiana, Thursday in Milwaukee, and Saturday in Minneapolis...road living here I come!! :)

1 comment:

megan said...

it's so great you are back on the road! and it's really great that your trip is headed out this way!