Chris and Melissa stopped by and assured me we do not have pack rats nesting on our roof. When my mom was here, she pointed out a "squirrel" coming down the cactus in our backyard...but I had to remind her that we do not have squirrels in Arizona...sure enough, it was a pack rat...eww!! Not sure where it was coming from or where it went...just so glad it's gone. I then stayed outside and did a bit of yard work. It was a gorgeous day by Arizona standards (gray and overcast) and only in the 90s.
Then I decided to take an adventure trip to SAS Fabrics. I have driven by it a thousand times, and have always thought the "fabric by the pound" sign sounded intriguing, it also made me itch thinking about having to dig through piles of dusty fabric to find what I want. So, I had never made the stop...until today. Now, I'm hooked. It's not nearly as dirty as I had pictured it to be. And it's actually much more organized than I had expected. There are shelves upon shelves of little boxes of buttons and patches with the corresponding button/patch on the outside of the box (all ranging from 10-65cents. A wall devoted to spools of ribbon, ric rac, and biased tape. And of course, piles and piles of fabric. Some of it looks like it came out in 1960 and others are name brands such as Amy Butler. Its cheap, unique, and full of character. I promise I'll bring my camera next time.
With inspiration from SAS, I present to you today's creations:
A mouse pad, pattern from A Handmade Home.
A baby kimono top, pattern from Weekend Sewing.
6 comments:
very good :)
Sincerly, Haleigh
Before you know it people will be mailing you fabric! Love Mommy
PS: Haleigh is helping me type:)
Sooooo impressed! Those look so cute! Welcome to SAS...the sewing community's dirty little secret (literally).
You never cease to amaze me. I hadn't been on the blog in a while and was SO glad to see that "The NEWS" was out and in public. Yay!
Glad you're now healthy and able to meet up with the guys soon. Praises!!
We are still hoping Ryanhood will travel West so we can see you guys soon.
a few days ago, i got out the manual for the old sewing machine Eric's mom gave me a few months ago and i'm excited to go beyond sewing a few pieces of old t-shirt together :) i just requested the books you mentioned here at my library--do you have any other good resource suggestions for beginners like me? thanks!
oh, the mouse pad and kimono are adorable! nice fabric, too!
Post a Comment