Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Having a baby in America...

Last night I, along with a few other friends, took 6 Bhutanese women to Target to register for their baby shower which we are throwing for them on November 14th (sadly, I won't be in town for the shower).

Bhutan is located just south of China, nestled between Nepal and Myanmar (Burma). A quick history of the country (this may or may not be totally accurate as it is coming from my memory of what I was told last night, and well, I'm not one for recalling history all too well...especially when a language barrier is involved). The Bhutanese refugees were originally mostly from Nepal. However just a little over 100 years ago, they were kicked out of Nepal and told to go to Bhutan (why this is, was a little unclear in translation, but I think it had to do with what 'tribe' or 'religion' they were). Then, just 17 years ago, Bhutan chased these people out of their country at gun point claiming they were Nepalese and not Bhutanese. So, they were forced to return to Nepal, and though Nepal at one point was their "home country" they were made to live in refugee camps. The refugee women I met last night had all lived in the camp for the past 17 years before coming to Tucson anywhere from 2 months to 1 year ago.

I don't think the ridiculousness of how many unnecessary items Americans buy could have been seen better than at Target last night. I was downright embarrassed at times explaining what little gadgets and comfort items are for. For example: diaper bags. Why do you need to buy a special bag to put diapers, a change of clothes, bottles, etc. in? Can't we just use a bag we have at home already? Or, a potty training seat...with decorative frog toilet seat covers nonetheless? How about the leashes we put on children to make sure they don't run away in the mall? Or, special hooded towels that come in smaller sizes? They definitely couldn't understand why Americans often use cribs and why people would have their baby sleep in a separate room than them. Or the need for baby monitors, as if they will ever be far from their babies. Though, I must admit that a lot of these little comfort items we have are cute...and some I'm even looking forward to myself, it was a good reality check of needs versus wants.

I think a lot of these women are rightfully scared of having a baby in America. One woman I talked to had two children before moving here, both at home with the help of her mother-in-law. The thought of being in a hospital is beyond frightening. Fortunately one of my friends that was with us at Target is a Labor and Delivery nurse at UMC, where many of these girls will deliver, so she is going to meet with them and go over what it is like to have a baby in the hospital and hopefully prepare them as much as she can before they deliver. It would be great too if she is working and can be their nurse when they deliver.

If you are in Tucson and have any baby items that are in good condition but you no longer want, please let me know and I can pick them up and pass them onto these women, I know they'd really appreciate it! Or, if you want to buy something off of their registry, you can look them up by "VI" "CH" as the first name initials and last name initials.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The items that look like leashes are a necessity if they have a child like your brother when he was a toddler! I never had one but I would have had several less scares.

Anonymous said...

The items that look like leashes are a necessity if they have a child like your brother when he was a toddler! I never had one but I would have had several less scares.

Tristy said...

Abs....just want to say that you should NEVER say NEVER until you have "been there done that". Take it from me.....I said I would NEVER put my child on a leash. BUT....I was blessed with Eli who is not the kind of child who holds your hand and stays right next to you. Nor is he the kind of child who is scared of anything. So if your child is refusing to ride in the stroller and is WAY too big to be strapped to you OR you have another child....leashing is the ONLY option unless you are find with your kid running into the street and getting hit by a car. I'm just saying.....there are times when it is necessary.

Baby monitors.....If you want to watch a movie with your hubby and actually want to HEAR the movie and not get up 55 times to check on the baby....these come in handy! :-)

Cribs and Separate Rooms....if you actually want to get SLEEP or be with your husband.....these are awesome!

Hooded Towels....I agree you only need one of these. Any more than that is totally unnecessary but they do wrap nicely and cuddly around a small babe.

TOTALLY USELESS BABY ITEM: Wipes Warmer! Stupid.....

k...now that I have written a novel......what I am saying is that when your baby is born...you will find what works for you and your baby. Something that you use may be useless to someone else and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

totally counter-cultural, I know, but I agree with what you said on the phone the other day about all you really need when a baby is born is an outfit or two, some diapers (unless you're going EC--which is REALLY wacko :) ) and the mama. i think many women in other countries have it figured out much better than we do.

love,
megan