Growing up I remember Memorial Day as a marker to mean the start of summer! And I should also put in the disclaimer that the start of summer is an exciting time when you live in the midwest (for those that live in AZ you can equate the feeling to that of "the start of winter").
I keep trying to embrace the weather in Tucson, however the truth is it's ingrained in me to love the 4 seasons that I grew up with best. Ryan and I were discussing how it's hard to just flip a switch and all of a sudden be okay with the fact that summer means eating indoors, spending less time outside, and rarely anytime at parks simply because playground equipment is way too hot! Especially when I hear friends in the midwest and on the eastcoast share what their days are like. I just plain miss it. (I'm not saying I miss the winters...I think I do...but that might just be nostalgia taking things a bit too far...
Anyway, I have memories of going to Lake Michigan on Memorial Day and it being unseasonably warm (probably in the 80s) and wonderful...and totally overcrowded with people eager to kick off summer!
So, what better way to spend Memorial Day in the desert than to find a lake and spend the day at it?
My friend Joyce and I piled the kids into her minivan and took off for a day at Patagonia Lake. It was definitely hot, but not overcrowded...and served my trip down memory lane quite well...and filled me with lots of new and fun memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment