Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Kids runnin' the show!

Whenever we overhear Grammie talking about us, we get referred to as "the kids". For example, "the kids" are making dinner tonight, or "the kids" are home, etc. I guess to her, we'll always be kids, and I'm totally fine with that. To be honest, I feel more like a kid than I do an adult anyway. Hence the fact that Ryan and I still like to play pranks on one another every night at bed time...lately the trend has been to hide a touch LED light under the other's pillow and then ask to switch pillows at which point the light is then revealed. It never works when I try to be the prankster though...either I laugh, drop the light while trying to hide it, turn on the light before it is securely under the pillow...etc. Ryan is the master prankster by far in our family.
On Christmas day Grammie's husband (who lives in a home nearby) wasn't feeling well so she decided to spend the full day with him up until dinner and asked us to prepare it, which we were more than happy to do. However, quickly we realized we really are kids with grown-up ages as a disguise. The ham said to cook it for 15 minutes/ pound...but we didn't know how much it weighed...ack! Fear not, the bathroom scale took care of that.

Then, just minutes before the guests were to arrive...the garbage disposal backed up...and brought more up with it than we had tried to initially put down it...yup...disgusting... At first we remedied this with a cutting board and a sign that said, "Sink out of order"...but we realized this wasn't going to work since we're going to have a lot of dishes to do, etc. Ryan then really fixed the mess with a plunger...phew, all was cleaned up just in time for our first guests. :)

It turned out to be one of my favorite Christmases since moving to Tucson. I'm not sure if its getting a bit more comfortable with everyone here, or the fact that there was a baby (Miriam Lynn) joining the family festivities for the first time, or the joy of the baby growing inside of me, but it was definitely a wonderful and relaxing day with lots of family.

Traci, Miriam, and Joe modeling their new Christmas hats!


Earlier in the day with Rachel...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's ok....if being a kid means that you are learning something new everyday, check out what i just learned today: hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs. the eggs we eat are not fertilized eggs. i had no idea. all along i just ASSUMED that there was a rooster involved somewhere in the process. i think it is much better to have the innocence and naivity of a child....even if you have to measure the ham with the bathroom scale!

that is so great that you loved your Christmas celebrations! and your dinner i'm sure was delicious

love,
megan