Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Yes, I am pregnant!

I went to see a new primary care physician last week, since my normal pcp doesn't take my new insurance. I liked the new doc, really, she was nice. BUT, I found it a little unnerving when she said, "I see you are taking prenatal vitamins, are you pregnant or planning to become pregnant?" HUH!?! Lady...look at me!


I watched a documentary earlier this week called, The Business of Being Born. It's all about the birthing/hospital vs. midwife industry. Quite interesting indeed. It's been eye opening for me to realize how many people have expressed that they are "uncomfortable" with the idea that I'm using a midwife instead of an OB. However, I learned in this documentary that although in the USA less than 5% of births are attended by a midwife, in Europe and Australia over 70% of births are attended by a midwife. To me, it just makes sense to have someone who is trained specifically to help women give birth, deliver our baby. And I must say that our experience with the midwives at the Birth Center have been wonderful and nurturing...a place Ryan and I truly love to go for appointments and classes...and look forward to soon going there to deliver!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abby,

I believe you should do what is best for you, Ryan, and "Little Green." :) It did inspire me to let you know that we have midwives who deliver at our hospital, though (in place of the MDs). But that's not to say that home births aren't wonderful options too! I just think it's amazing all the great options, so there's something for everone. I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!! :) -Kristy

Anonymous said...

Your Great,great grandmother was a midwife. Your Great grandmother would take care of the siblings of the new baby and help with the house work until the Mother was able. They were paid in many ways, cash, animals, and crops:)
Love,
Mom

housecandyarts said...

Midwives are the BEST!! Good choice. XOXO

Mira Conklin said...

great documentary! i've probably told you this, but i was born at home on a big, green couch. the midwife didn't arrive in time and my dad delivered me!
love ya,
mira

Anonymous said...

maybe you'll just need to start wearing a button that says "I'm pregnant" or maybe a t-shirt that says "baby inside"

love,
megan