Sunday, February 06, 2011

Dog Sitting

Among my growing random list of jobs I've had since moving to Tucson, one of the most consistent has been dog/house sitting. Last February I spent two weeks dog/tortoise/bird/chicken sitting for a friend's parents, and had the most relaxing/creative time.* And this year, they asked me to do the same for 5 days.

It has been a little more challenging this time because they have a 16-week old chocolate lab puppy that is recovering from a bladder infection and has to pee in the middle of the night (of course this has yet to coordinate with a time when Ezra is up nursing anyway), and all of the dogs (there are 3 in total) wake up at 6am for breakfast...again, while Ezra is sound asleep.

The nice thing though, is that the owners have 3 grandchildren, 2 of which are within two months of Ezra's age, so I didn't have to pack much besides clothes and diapers for him. And, a major plus of having dogs is that they clean up everything that Ezra drops while eating...and even Ezra post-eating. :)






Ezra would just squeal with delight as they tickled his fingers and toes. The only confusing part for Ezra is that he has recently started playing this game with us where he hands us something and then we hand it back to him. But when he handed the dogs his food, they didn't know to give it back...oh, sad news for Ezra. :(

This time of being here has once again been full of creativity. Here is a photo Ryan (sneakily) took on his phone of me cutting out bamboo to sew into diapers!


And, here are my guys working on their next big hit...


"Umm dad, that was out of tune...let me fix that for you..."


"Hmmm...something still seems off, let me look back here (and taste the guitar in the process)..."


"Perfect, now we are ready to jam..."


*It is crazy to look back at that post and see the things that I was making for Ezra before I even knew it was a "him". He is still wearing the diapers and bibs, but has long outgrown the outfit and use of the receiving blanket. Oh how I love seeing the lil' guy in handmade creations.

No comments: