(Warning: You might find this post to be very boring...and there are no photos to skip ahead to :)
We have had a very full 24 hours. Not the kind of full where we have taken so many photos that we hardly know what to do with them, but the kind of full where we are all just ready to sleep now for 24 hours straight.
Yesterday morning I went to the Birth Center to have my blood drawn to make sure that everything looked normal despite the recent news of a staph infection. (Good news there, all looks fine!!)
Then I brought Ezra to have a routine blood draw to have his lead level checked. (This could have been a whole post in itself, but I think only fellow Child Life Specialists would find it to be of interest.)
Next stop was Ezra's pediatrician. He has been acting normal and happy, but we wanted to be certain that he didn't have strep again given that we never completed the first round of antibiotics due to his outbreak of hives (and his recent fever). Turns out he has hand, foot, mouth disease. It's sounds bad, but it's actually totally harmless...just quite contagious among the 4 and under crowd. In fact the take-home sheet we received said that he could even go back to daycare that day (if he was in daycare) as long as no fever was present. For some reason though, I don't feel 100% comfortable bringing him around other kids while I know he stills has this...
All day yesterday I did everything I could to try to get rid of my staph infection. Epsom salt compresses, baking soda/cider vinegar compresses, drawing salve, drinking apple cider vinegar/honey/warm water concoctions...in addition to the antibiotics, acidopholus, and echinacea.
This morning Ezra woke up at 5:15am. I am quite certain that he hasn't woken up that early since he was approximately 5 months old. Ahhhhh! He wanted to eat. So he ate. And played.
At 7:30am, Ryan took over so that I could get an hour nap in before he had to leave for work.
I think Ezra knew I wasn't feeling well. He was super sweet, played by himself for super long stretches of time, and in general quite mellow. He had to go potty while I was on the phone with the birth center, so without even telling me he went on his own, and even dumped the potty's contents into the toilet and flushed it...and then proceeded to clean the potty with hydrogen peroxide. Good intentions. Since I didn't see him cleaning the potty (just saw the open bottle -which was now practically empty- with wet kleenex all around the potty), I decided to be safe I should call poison control in case he also drank some. Luckily, poison control said that it was fine. BUT, while on the phone with poison control, Ezra used a crate as a stool to open the medicine cabinet and figured out how to open a child-safe bottle of kids motrin. Ack! I determined though that I don't think he drank any. His breath didn't smell like grapes...and the bottle is the type with a small opening for a syringe to draw out the medicine. Somehow I was able to see the humor in all of this. It probably helped that he has been in such a good and loveable mood today.
My arm is no better today, despite all of my efforts yesterday. I went to my primary care and though the results aren't in yet (another story that could be a post in and of itself), they highly suspect it's MRSA based on the way it looks and is progressing (regressing?). (What started out the size of a pinhead is now the size of a quarter and not looking cute.)
Redeeming part of the day: Ezra took a 4.5 hour nap!! ...and went to bed without a problem.
4 comments:
1. Whoa, your MRSA/staph thing sounds awful. :( Let me know if you need anything.
2. The irony of the Motrin while on the phone with poison control is priceless.
3. 4.5 hours?!?! He's seriously the most intense napper I've ever heard of.
4. I hope you're sleeping right now!
Abigail,
Sending you lots of prayers, love, and healthy vibes. Sorry to hear that most of the family seems to need a child life specialist right now! :( I know I'm far away, but please let me know if there's anything I can do.
Hugs,
Kristy
Oh my goodness - what a day! I'm glad no Motrin was consumed, but I hope things calm down and your infection is all cleared up soon! Sending lots of love your way.
Abby,
Cora had hand foot and mouth disease about 3 weeks ago, it was miserable! She started feeling better after about a week 1/2, but now all the skin on her feet is peeling. There was an outbreak at her daycare, which is where she got it.
Sending you love from the Trayte family and hope you're feeling better soon!
P.S. I'm going to try out the McDonald's play area today with Cora since Ry is gone for the weekend :).
Post a Comment