Saturday, May 07, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Inspired by Jenn's post on the Uncommon Childhood, I wanted to post an ode to my mama this mother's day.

10 things I appreciate about my mom...


1. Right after Ezra was born she and my dad flew down and took care of Ryan and I so that we could take care of Ezra. Laundry, cooking, dishes, holding Ezra at 4am so we could sleep...she made the transition into parenthood so much easier for us.

2. She allows us (and supports us) to parent the way we want to without offering criticism. When we told her about EC, she was right on board and would put Ezra on the potty when he had to go. She even found the same potty at a thrift store so that he could have one when we visit Michigan.

3. She encourages me in my many crafty dreams and endeavors. From making jewelry to sandwich bags to diapers...she is right there with me cheering me on. She even flew down to visit for a week last summer to help me cut out and sew diapers while Ryan was gone on tour.

4. She believes in Ryan(hood) and does everything she can to make sure everyone has heard about them. From throwing house concerts, to booking a show at her high school, to hanging up flyers all of Grand Rapids with my dad to advertise a Ryanhood concert.

5. She's a foodie and has thus raised me with a pallet that loves fine food!

6. She brought me along with her as she volunteered with Vietnamese refugees while I was growing up and has instilled in me a love for volunteering...and a love for people from different cultures.

7. She always emphasized wanting to save money to travel instead of having "things". I love that that mentality has stayed with me.

8. She is always asking about my friends and likes to stay up to date on what is going with them. And she is always up for me having them over when I visit Michigan.

9. She laughs with us when we are laughing about how she says things like "HPS" instead of "GPS".

10. She loves the outdoors and walks barefoot in the grass...and so do I!

Thanks Mom, I love you!

5 comments:

Orla said...

What a sweet post! I hope you are having a great Mother's day yourself!

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet and special, Abby! I loved reading it! :-)
Happy Mother's Day to you!

Abby said...

Ok, just to clarify, that was me (Abby) who commented. Not Matt, lol.
I didn't realized I was signed into matt's gmail! ha ha.

Stephanie said...

What a lovely tribute. I especially like the part about her encouraging and supporting your parenting choices. That is a wonderful gift.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Jenn Miller said...

I love it. You obviously have a GREAT Mom and she's raised YOU to be a great mom. Multi-generational awesomeness!

Glad you liked my post as well!