I'm in Boston this week for the annual Child Life Conference. Even though I'm not currently practicing Child Life, I want to maintain my certification in case there is a point later in life when I do want to practice again. Today was Day 1 of the conference, and I loved it! Part of me is ready to jump back into the field with two feet...I feel so blessed to have found a field that I am totally passionate about! BUT, I'm even more passionate about my husband, so for now my feet will only be jumping into a tour van, where we can spend our time together instead of months apart at a time. The great thing about Child Life, is that a lot of the things I'm learning at this conference I can apply to when I have kids someday...so I'm just getting my bag of tricks ready. :) My two workshops today were: 1.) Play: An Endangered Species? and 2.)Sibling Voices: What Siblings Want to Know. The lecturer for the Play session was one of my professors from Wheelock, she is well-versed in the importance of play and has spent a lot of time researching how media (tv, video games, computers) hinder child's play...as well as to how it adds to violence and a desire to be "sexy" at a very young age. Every year she puts out a guide to help parents decipher healthy vs. unhealthy toys.
My second session was led by the team that I worked at Children's Hospital with on the Oncology Floor. My favorite part of this session was listening to a panel of mothers and siblings talk about what was helpful and unhelpful for them while their family member was receiving care. A common thread was to be recognized as their own person as opposed to "the sibling". To be referred to by name. To be asked how they are doing, and not "how is your sibling doing", etc. It was very helpful to hear them speak out so candidly.
Tomorrow is Day 2. My sessions are:
1.) Beyond Basics: Working with the Children of Adult Patients
2.) Listen Carefully: What Patients with Developmental Disabilities and Their Families Can Teach Us
3.) Eating Disorders: Feeding Self-Esteem
And on Sunday...
1.) Ten Ways to Support Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders While They Receive Care in Your Hospital
Lots of great stuff ahead...including a reunion dinner tomorrow night with my Wheelock girls! :)
2 comments:
i can't wait to hear all about it! it sounds perfectly wonderful!
I want to hear all about it when you get back!
Post a Comment