This afternoon I called our friends from Congo. It has been a long time since we saw them last. Too long really. I have had a baby, and they have had a baby, and we still have not seen each other. Normally when we call, we call one of the male's phones because, quite frankly, they speak better English. But today I decided to call Elodi's phone. She's been here for two years now, and her English is way better (like 100% better) than my Spanish, and I've lived here for 4 years! Our conversation went a bit like this:
Me: Hi Elodi, it's Abby.
Elodi: Who?
Me: Abby.
Elodi: (pause)
Me: Abby and Ryan.
Elodi: (lots of talking in Swahili)
Me: How is your baby?
Elodi: good. Who is this?
Me: It's Abby.
(Elodi hands the phone to her husband, Bienvenue)
Bienvenue: Who is this?
Me: It's Abby.
(Ryan in the background: pronounce it "A"-Bee.)
Me: It's "A"-Bee.
Bienvenue: Ohhhhh "A"-Bee!!!! How are you??? (Lots of laughter, and "it's 'A'-Bee")
(Elodi takes the phone)
Elodi: Oh "A"-Bee! How is your baby? How are you?
Lots of laughs indeed. They are coming over on Saturday and I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment