**please be warned that Afosian's story is slightly graphic...**

My name is Afosian Joan. I am from war affected areas of Uganda (Gulu). It was one night when we were sleeping and the rebels attacked our home. They killed my father and they cut off my mother's breasts. Rebels did not kill me because they did not see me and I survived like that. I cried till morning and nobody could help me..when it came to evening time...a mother took me in, but after two months she turned against me and she told me that she no longer had money to look after me...so I decided to work in a nearby shop. I used to go to that shop every day and mop it and I even mopped all the verandas. There was a man who used to come to that shop everyday and he used to find me when mopping. So one day he came and asked, "Young girl don't you go to school?" and I answered him that I don't go to school and explained to him what had happened to me. He asked me whether I wanted to go to school and said he would pay my school fees. I was so excited about that! He then asked me whether I could dance and I told him that I could, so he brought me home to live at Bitone. And, that man was Branco. (Branco is the founder and director of Bitone).
No comments:
Post a Comment